Monday, October 4, 2010

Yard Sale

I promised myself I would have a yard sale at least once every 25 years. Seeing as I will embark on my 2nd quarter century in January I realized I was quickly running out of time! So I had to have a yard sale to keep my promise. (this seemed like a more interesting explanation than declaring this to be my very first yard sale, which is actually the reality of the situation. But reality isn't all that exciting sometimes. Which is why they stage stuff on reality shows. I'm convinced. I know it happens.)

Until this yard sale, the only thing i've done that would maybe be in the same category as a yard sale is our lemonade stand which my sisters and brother and I set up at the bottom of our driveway when we were younger. I wish I could show you a picture of what the bottom of my driveway looks like. Honestly, it's on the quietest back road that had traffic averaging at about 1 car and 2 runners an hour. It actually wasn't a lemonade stand if i'm honest. My mom just made her Downingtown famous cookies and we ate them while we waited for the one car to come by that we could sell them to. So I guess it was really just a cookie stand. The only memory I have of actually selling something at the bottom of that driveway was a cookie to a friendly runner. Which, looking back, is so confusing. Why on earth would you stop for a cookie in the middle of your run? Barf. Back then, I thought he was just a paying customer, now i realize he must have been the most friendly runner in Chester County, cause who else would buy a cookie from a kid while running?

I would say that the yard sale my small group and I had last weekend was a bit more successful. We sold my old black light and strobe light (why I owned those, i'm not sure), Rob's old Dan Marino Jersey (no worries, he still has a Marino jersey. Can't be without one.) my snoopy puzzles, a backpack, rob's old dress shirts, etc. All very exciting I know. So to spice it up a bit, of course I had to bake up some goodies to sell. And since i'm still so happy that it's Fall I decided on Annie's Eats caramel corn and Milk and Cookies' Baked Apple Cider Donuts.

First. The Caramel Corn. It was light, crispy, and adorable with candy corn and honey roasted peanuts mixed in.

and seriously, how fun is it to make popcorn in a skillet?
 

and this was the first time i made caramel so i was super nervous but it went so well and turned out to be really easy.

PLUS it bubbled up like it was Halloween and I was using a cauldron! SO fall. Double bubble toil and trouble. (I still don't know if that is what witches say. I showed Rob the pot at this point and we both were trying to figure out that phrase. We never did figure it out.)

 Next up. Apple Cider Donut Holes. Oh, YUM.

 I desperately wanted to make donuts but I'm a bit terrified of throwing things into amazingly hot oil. My mom, who is famous for being a bit wreckless in the kitchen, tried to fry donuts once (apple cider donuts, actually) and burnt the heck out of her hand. All I remember is her on the floor after mostly passing out from burn pain! Needless to say, I'm scarred. One day, i'll face my fears. But for now... BAKED Apple Cider Donut Holes!

Speaking of my dear mother. These donuts were a team effort :)
 

Nothing is more fun that baking with Mom. She gave me her wreckless nature in the kitchen and she also gave me a love of baking. Gotta take the good with the bad. Definitely worth it.



I sold my little treats at our yard sale. It was held at our friends house and it was on the same day as New Cumberland's Apple Festival. 

 Ok, I'll be honest. I really didn't sell that many. but we did eat a lot of them :)

We had little helpers with us. This sweetie sold lemonade and I think she made more than I did that day than I did my whole child hood at the bottom of my deserted driveway.
 

The business man. He drove a hard bargain.
 

When the couples in your small group almost all have kids, you end up with A LOT of baby clothes to sell.
 


Poor Rob desperately wanted to sell his beanie babies. The business man in him as a child was convinced these were going to be worth money and, hey, maybe they will. But that day, NO ONE wanted them. Sorry they didn't sell, Rob. Some day, you'll make the big bucks with your Dalmation beanie baby. Good thing you've got the plastic tag protectors.

 
 
 Oh, and they're always the classic yard sale CD's. Nick Lachey... classy.

Little Eli was our youngest salesman. Hard worker.
 
So, If you're looking for an awesome beanie baby. You know who to ask. If not, I suggest you make yourself some caramel corn or apple cider donuts :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

geez, you're such a good blogger!

i'm wreckless too. in fact today i burnt my finger. boo!!
mom's the best!

i can't stop laughing at Rob's beanie babies & their protective case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carly said...

Kelv, after reading your post I just had to share one of my newest buys with you. http://www.surlatable.com/product/wilton+six+standard-doughnut+pan,+1%26%2334-+deep,+13%26%2334+long.do?keyword=donut&sortby=ourPicks. Be careful when you click this link as its reallllly easy to get lost in that website for hours drooling over kitchen/baking accessories. I made so many baked mini donuts with my pan you wouldnt believe. Only problem is the first 12 disappear before the next 12 are out of the oven.